Article submitted by Cécile Zarokian
The Angelina Tearoom has been an icon for the French art of living for over a century. But unknown to many, it was actually founded by a confectioner from Austria. It was in the late 1800 when Antoine Rumpelmeyer and his family emigrated from then Austro-Hungarian Empire to the south of France, in the area of Côte d’Azur. Inspired by the teahouses of their roots, the Rumpelmeyer family opened various ventures in Nice, Monte Carlo, and Antibes. Fueled by their success, they eventually opened the first Angelina in 1903 on rue de Rivoli, exactly where it stands today.
The Angelina Tea House was designed by architect Edouard-Jean Niermans who, by then, had already been famed for his impressive works in Paris which include la brasserie Mollard on rue Saint-Lazare, the Trianon-Concert in Montmartre, and the Moulin Rouge on Boulevard de Clichy. His signature Belle Epoque style pleased the French aristocracy and high society of the time and helped propel the success of the Angelina name. To this day, over a hundred years later, the original interiors remain unaltered.
In 2005, the Angelina brand was taken over by the Bertrand Restauration group. Nevertheless, the new management has maintained the same standards that sustained its success for a century. Today’s Angelina Tearoom still holds the same luxury and prestige both in their salons and in their delectable food options. In keeping with tradition, you can still enjoy the same hot chocolate that fashion greats like Coco Chanel and elite writers like Marcel Proust have been known to love.